Thursday, April 30, 2009

Big Things!

I know I have been a little M.I.A. recently,folks,and I apologize for that.
Between my new work,writing,organizing expeditions,health issues, and dedicating time to my family,there has been time for little else.
My blogging has fallen by the way side a bit,but I assure you I am doing my best to get it back on track on a more regular basis.

The Moonshadow team has some exciting adventures going on throughout the summer,and I will definitely keep you all posted on how things are progressing.

Cryptozoology is not just about weird and strange unedfineable creatures like the Dogman and Bigfoot.
It also encompasses a whole treasury of critters who have indeed been charted and are defineable,but end up in a place they are not common to at all.
"Alien" creatures if you will,such as big cats in the U.K. and northern Michigan and the Gypsy moth in Massachussetts.
Even certain species of plants can be added to that list like, for instance, Garlic mustard,which most likely found its way over here by way of European settlers who used it for cooking and medicinal purposes. The plant has now taken on a more destructive quality,however, as it spreads to more and more areas of the great and beautiful Wisconsin forests.

Most of you by now have heard the recent ramblings and rumblings regarding the feral pigs who have now begun making Michigan their new home. Like a four-legged oinking plague,they seem to be making their way across the entire south and midwest.
Reports abound of sightings,attacks,and even sport hunters having taken in "monster hogs"


But are these giants truly becoming a menace?
Some do not agree with that theory.
It has been argued that they may actually do more good than harm.
By way of profitable professional hunting excursions,the beasts could actually help stimulate a shakey economy here in Michigan.
I myself am not a hunter,but I know plenty of them. I grew up in the beautiful upper penninsula of Michigan,where hunting isn't only a sport or a way of putting meat on the table....it's a RELIGION!
Anyone else who grew up a "Yooper" will know exactly what I'm talking about.

So then the question is.....

Do we begin to think of ways to exterminate them and cut them off at the pass before they establish permanent residence? Or do we find creative and useful ways to utilize a new,possibly valuable resource.
A third option (for the animal lovers against hunting) could be setting up a sort of "pig watcher's" organization that takes you on a true life Michigan safari.
Yeah yeah,I know....Not as exciting as watching lions from the open backend of a landrover on the Africa plains,but hey,I'm having a creative moment here. Just go with it,would ya?

Anyway,I want to hear your take on this situation,Haven fans.
Tell us your opinion and how you would handle this whole thing were you in charge of the 'pig parade'.

That's all for now,my fledglings!
Ta ta!

Your Mistress of the Mysterious,
Raven Moonshadow

5 comments:

  1. Hello dark one...

    We have the same situation in the UK with wild boar which mankind once wiped from the woods, but which now have become re-established. They've never been a problem, but scare stories emerge, and unfortunately it is human nature to destroy any kind of competition. Boar do indeed dig up crops etc, but in Europe there has never been a problem and such animals are only aggressive when protecting young. In the UK I say bring back the lynx, wolf and beaver too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes,there does seem to be great controversy over these creatures,especially from those who have had frightening encounters with them,but I have to agree with you on that point Neil,mankind has indeed always felt compelled to destroy,which is sad.
    And not only those things which compete with him.
    This is one of the things that truly bothers me about the whole Bigfoot situation.
    Do we truly have to kill one or box it in a zoo cage to properly study it?
    I am curious to see what's on everyone's mind reagrding this topic.
    Thank you so much for posting,my dear friend. It is always a pleasure to hear form you.
    Your knowledge of the field always inspires me.
    I hear your latest "Mystery Animals of the British Isles--Kent" is getting great reviews! Congratulations!
    And to my readers:
    Please check out Neil's work. His work is impeccable and his fascinating knowledge of the creatures he studies is unmatched. I actually use one of his books as a reference guide in MY work.
    Check out his books. You won't be dissapointed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article, Raven.

    I don't hunt myself but I'm not totally anti-hunting. I think of the three opitons you put on the table, I'll take 2 and 3.

    I do agree with Neil that mankind always has a thing for destrying everything. I don't hold it against them. I chalk it up to ignorance of the "Light." So to speak.

    I certainly don't think we're a "virus" or that we should be wiped off the face of the earth. Ultimately every sentient being on this earth is working his or her way back to the Source (whatever that ultimately is) in his or her own way---which may take centuries longer for some people, and that is how I look at it.

    To be very "New Age" about it, of course. :)
    But like I said, I'll take option 2 or 3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully said,Cryptids.

    I do believe that mankind tends to destroy what he fears or he does not understand.
    Enlightenment and education should be able to quell that impulse at some point,hopefully.
    But until then,it could be a lengthy process.

    Thanks for posting! I hope all is well in your neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything is doing relatively well---thank you for asking!!!

    Speaking of "viruses"---my relatives and half the people I know are freaking out in my "neck of the woods" about Swine Flu.

    For once, I don't blame them.

    Ultimately, what will happen, will happen. One can only hope for the best.

    Hope you and everybody else are taking commonsense precautions.

    ReplyDelete

REPORT AN ENCOUNTER / SIGHTING

Today's date
Name
Contact information
Email Address
Date of sighting / encounter
Where did this happen?
What time of day did this occur?
What were the weather conditions like?
Were there any other witnesses? If so, how many?
Please explain your encounter/sighting with as much detail as you can remember. Try to recall sounds, sights,what you felt, what others felt, the entire duration of the event, etc.
Would you like me to conduct an investigation?
Do I have your permission to keep your experience on file for future reference and possible publication?
If you answered yes to the previous question, would you like me to keep your name and contact information confidential/anonymous?

Get your own free form like this one.

Super Croc!

Search This Blog